Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gingerbread Waffles

I will admit my personal tastes are unusual and eclectic - but they're mine!  I love black jelly beans and Sambuca which both have heavy anise flavoring, but am not a fan of black licorice - a close cousin.  I love molasses cookies far more than sugar cookies because of the earthier, unrefined flavor.  I'm not a fan of polished, processed foods.  I'd prefer a plate of red beans cooked on the stove all day with hunks of garlic and hot chiles, to canned beans with spices or home made sour cranberry sauce over the sweet, can-shaped stuff.

With that in mind, I recently made some Gingerbread Waffles.  They were very delicious and topped with real, maple syrup, too.  Even though they were great, I would probably make some Scott alterations.

Ingredients (for about 10 12" waffles):
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar (Scott alteration: remove and add 1/4 cup molasses and 1/4 cup more flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
less than 1/4 cup molasses

Directions:
1) Mix dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients until fully incorporated
3) Add the wet to the dry ingredients while whisking together
4) Heat waffle iron and cook accordingly
5) For an extra kick of molasses...mix 1/4 cup molasses with 1/2 cup maple syrup in a medium sauce pan and heat slowly until warm; stirring well.

No comments:

Post a Comment